Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What is in the cards for us?

Kim is leading our morning devotions before heading out to serve. They are a perfect way to start the day, and I am so happy that everyone feels comfortable sharing with the group. We've shed a few tears and are learning more about each other. It is such an important part of our day, and we are all grateful for the time and effort that Kim put into creating each morning's devotion.

Yesterday, Maribeth added a uniquely wonderful element to our morning devotions by introducing a deck of cards that contain various words on them, such as love, foregiveness, completion, stillness, etc. Each morning, everyone selects a random card, and then each night after dinner we talk about our cards and share relevant experiences from the day. Yesterday, my mom selected "reverence," which read: "Today I walk in reverence, reflecting on the miracles taking place in my life. This world is Your creation. Therefore, as I honor myself . . . I honor You." It was so perfect. What my mom is doing is a miracle. At 79, she got a passport for the first time and traveled half way across the world (20+ hours of travel) to take part in a mission trip, something she has wanted to do for a long time. Each day, she climbs 36 stairs at least twice, stands around waiting for long periods of time (we are on Kenyan time afterall!), travels on dusty and bumpy roads to our destination, walks distances to work on projects,  carries and lifts her fair share of supplies, bends down to hug small children, etc. I revere my mom and what she is doing here, and I praise God for giving her the strength and confidence to finally experience her dream. Bwana Asifiwe!

4 comments:

  1. I think "humility" would have found it's way into my hands. I am so grateful to you Joyce for sharing this journey as you're experiencing it. It sounds like you all have the comfort you need in each other to help provide the strength you all need for each day. What an amazing team! I am humbled looking through the photos of Spring Valley, seeing the life changing - life saving work that continues there. There are tears to be shed, but much joy to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspirational is all that I can say. My best to you and your mom. Thank you so much for letting us be a part of your journey by blogging. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom was hoping you recognized the blanket from noisy bucket Sunday. The kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did recognize it. I used it as a background picture to your wording above about your mom as an opening slide to our service on Sunday, June 17. It felt like a special message from Africa when I realized it was the blanket. I can't wait to hear her stories.

    ReplyDelete