Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bahati

Bahati means "lucky" in Swahili. It is the name that has been given to me by the older girls at HOREC. I feel so lucky to be able to be here and spend this time with these children. While I often get mad at God for my singleness, I have to praise him for it as well. If I wasn't single, I may never have had the chance to come to HOREC and certainly would not be spending a month here now. God has blessed me in so many ways, but one of the biggest blessings I have been given is spending time with these children. They are so amazing. It is hard to capture through any words or pictures. You really need to experience them to get a true understanding of how special they are. I am continually amazed by what they know, what they do and how easily they love. Some of them have come from very difficult situations, severe poverty, sexual abuse. Many have even been the primary caretakers of their families at an early age. Yesterday, I learned that Linet (the newest baby, she is 1 1/2 years old) had been hit over the head by her mother in an attempt to kill her because she did not want her. It breaks your heart to know their stories, but when you see the joy and love they have in their hearts, you know that God is at work here at HOREC. Bwana Yasifiwe!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how God works sometimes. Before leaving for Kenya, I started a Beth Moore bible study with this wonderful group of women at Calvary Chapel in Aurora. The study is David, Seeking a Heart Like His. It has been a great study for this time in my life. I am a few days behind in my studies. Tonight, as I was reading the lesson one of the questions was, "In your relationship with God, do you feel freedom to bring the desires of your heart to Him in prayer? How do you usually respond if He does not give you the desire of your heart?" It is no coincidence that this was the lesson I was reading after this blog post. I think God is challenging me to think harder about my feelings and the desires of my heart versus what he desires for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your heart Joyce, and so does God. :O)

    ReplyDelete