Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Little Brother

I am so thankful for my new little brother, Edward. I have really bonded with him on this trip and am grateful for a new friendship. A couple weeks ago, Edward took me to Kayole to buy more paint and exchange some USD. We waited over 1 hour in line at the bank to exchange the money (see footnote). It was getting late by the time we were finally on the way to HOREC and I asked him if he'd like to stop for lunch, so we stopped for a pizza. As we waited for the pizza to bake, he asked me about my status - was I married, did I have any children. I had told him my story, how I had wanted to marry Brian but it didn't work out despite how much I had loved him because he did not want children and, while he believed in God, he did not desire to have a relationship with Him. I had told him those two things were too important to me to compromise. He asked me what I meant by "a relationship with God." He told me that he prays to God. I explained what I thought it meant and how it meant much more than merely praying. I wondered why God put me in this spot, as I feel that I am still on the beginning of my path to a relationship with Him. I wondered why God hadn't selected someone more qualified for this conversation. Anyway, I continued to speak from my heart.

A few days later, Edward came to pick me up after my day of shopping in Nairobi. It was as if he could hardly wait to tell me. He said, "Today I did something I have never done before. I bought a Bible." Praise God! A few days later, I found him watching a religious program about heaven, and he wanted to discuss it. The next day, we stopped to meet Chuck McDonald, another muzungu (white person) who is building an orphanage near the kids' school (Koma Hill) and Chuck shared his testimony with us. I had felt bad about stopping because it was lunch time and we ended up visiting with Chuck for nearly an hour. When we got in the car, Edward said to me, "I am so glad we stopped here today" and repeated many of the things Chuck had said. I think my conversation with him a few days earlier primed him so that he listened to what Chuck had to say and he could identify through Chuck's testimony what I meant by a relationship with God. He talked about it several additional times during the day as well. Then, last night he asked if he could download some of my contemporary Christian music. I had told him that the ringtone he has on his phone, "Awake and Alive" by Skillet, was a contemporary Christian song. He seemed shocked to learn that, so I googled Skillet and the lyrics for him and explained what the song meant (at least my interpretation). Edward's mom, Christine, is a faithful woman and often speaks about God and listens to Christian music in the car, etc., so it is not as though the topic is foreign to Edward, but for some reason we seemed to connect in this area and it has really been a joy to see his interest in learning more about God grow.

Edward's story so often makes we think of my own. God gave me the most wonderful example of faith that a person could have asked for - my mom. When I was growing up, I often found her listening to Christian radio programs and reading her Bible. Her life has certainly been an example, often giving of herself and her resources to those in need even when she had little. I can't thank God enough for her. When I was a little girl, I would lay with her and talk to her about God. But, then one day that changed and I seemed to stray. As a teen, I often thought "Not this program again, oh do we have to listen to this preacher again, is she really reading the Bible again?" It wasn't until I was in my 30's that I really understood the true meaning of grace and why my mom desired to have such a strong relationship with God. Today, I find myself listening to Christian radio programs and sermons in the car. I love doing Bible studies and finding such wonderful things in the Word. I even find myself reading the Bible out loud, just like my mom does. I am not sure why, but it seems to sink in better when I do it that way! I often get mad at myself that it took me so long to "get it." God gave me this wonderful example and I feel as though I wasted it. Thankfully, He is a forgiving Father and doesn't give up on us. And, I praise God today that he has given me a thirst to know Him better.

I will surely miss my little brother when I return home and hope that a few thousand miles won't keep us from such good conversations.

Footnote: I have to be honest, no one is in a hurry to do anything here. It was the source of a lot of frustration for me early on. Time seems to mean nothing. The clock always feels broken. Coming from a business environment, where time is everything, I struggled with Kenyan time. One day I was venting to Kerry Wuthrich about it, and she gave me some sage advice. She told me to look at it as an opportunity to have a conversation or learn something new about someone instead of a frustration. When you look at it that way, you can see the positive side of things. Kenyans stop to talk to their neighbors even if they are their way to an appointment. They stop to give someone a ride even if they are in a hurry. While Kerry's advice gave me a much needed attitude adjustment, I am not sure I will ever truly get used to Kenyan time.

1 comment:

  1. The music blaring out of Edward's room this morning is David Crowder! Bwana Yasifiwe! : )

    ReplyDelete